Hope Point Church
July 31, 2022
July 31, 2022
“Shepherd Leadership – Tending the Flock of God”
1 Peter 5:1-5
Take-Home Truth: We should all live a life worthy of imitation
Christ-Connection: Jesus Christ is the ultimate elder, the ultimate shepherd, and the ultimate overseer
Hook: (Ice-breaker question. Get the group talking!)
- Discuss a time when you were part of a team that worked well together toward a common goal.
Engage: (Observe the passage and engage with the text)
- As a group, read aloud 1 Peter 5:1-5. Why does Peter begin a discussion on eldership immediately after a passage on suffering and persecution?
- In your own words, based on the text, briefly describe the responsibilities and qualifications of a biblical elder.
Reflect: (Reflect upon the key take-aways from the sermon)
- Peter’s focus changed from individual persecution to the collective persecution and suffering of the church. How does this apply to what is happening in the church today? (1 Peter 4:17)
- Dan said it is important that we live a life worthy of imitation. What are elements in your life where you are living as an imitator of Christ? What are the areas where you need to ask God to work change in your life to make it worth imitating?
Respond: (Apply the truths of God’s Word to your heart, affections, and actions)
- Once again read 1 Pt 5:5. Why is submitting to the elders and being humble in spirit so important in times of increasing persecution?
- The qualifications for elders certainly apply to the church as a whole and how we lead in our own lives. As you reflect on these, what do you need to change in your own life to become a better imitator of Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd?