When Kings and Merchants Weep
November 19, 2023
“When Kings and Merchants Weep”
Take-Home Truth: The world’s view of possessions is in sharp contrast to what God wants for us as believers.
Christ-Connection: Jesus has absorbed God’s wrath for the sins of those who believe in Him.
Recap: (Talk about last week)
- The title of last week’s message was “The Purpose of Life.” Did God give you an opportunity this past week to bring Him glory in some way?
Engage: (Observe the passage and engage with the text)
- Read Revelation 18 and discuss where the people of Babylon in this chapter put their hope. Which verses do you see that in?
- What does this chapter say is the outcome of these values?
- Read 1 John 2:15,16 and 1 Timothy 6:17-19. How does the Biblical worldview in these verses differ from the Babylonian worldview discussed in chapter 18?
Reflect: (Reflect upon the key take-aways from the sermon)
- What causes you to weep?
- Discuss the difference between an intellectual answer and a functional answer to the question “Who is your God?”.
- What did Richard say are the two results of putting our hopes in material gain? What are ways these two things might be seen in our lives even as Christians?
Respond: (Apply the truths of God’s Word to your heart, affections, and actions)
- As you evaluate your own life, does your giving reveal that you are putting your hope in God or in wealth? Discuss your answer and the changes that might need to be made to reflect true hope in God.
- What changes might you need to make in the treatment of others to show that you are valuing people above possessions?